Low-cost airline Norwegian continues its UK expansion this week with the launch of its newest route from Edinburgh to the cosmopolitan city of Barcelona with fares from £34.90.
From 15 June, Norwegian’s brand new twice weekly flights to Barcelona take off, departing on Wednesdays and Saturdays offering passengers an ideal schedule for a short summer getaway. More than 15,000 seats are available to book with the only airline at Edinburgh offering passengers free inflight Wi-Fi on brand new 186 seat aircraft.
Barcelona continues to offer something new and amazes visitors with its Mediterranean culture, traditions, gastronomy and heritage. The city’s Modernista sites, including Casa de les Punxes, are opening their doors for public visits and holidaymakers can also access, a world of nature, charming coastal villages and vineyards beyond Barcelona.
The Catalan capital becomes Norwegian’s sixth route from Edinburgh Airport as the airline is also considering new transatlantic flights from the Scottish capitalusing state-of the-art aircraft such as the new Boeing 737 MAX, giving passengers even more affordable choice to the world’s top destinations.
Thomas Ramdahl, Chief Commercial Officer at Norwegian said: “We have major expansions plans at Edinburgh as our affordable flights are continuing to be a huge draw for Scottish passengers. Last year was our busiest ever at the airport with over 200,000 passengers flying with us and now holidaymakers can combine city, sun and sand with Norwegian’s new affordable flights to Barcelona. We are the only airline offering passengers high quality at a low cost with free Wi-Fi, brand new aircraft and a growing route network to the most sought after destinations and this is only set to continue at Edinburgh.”
Gordon Dewar, Chief Executive of Edinburgh Airport said: “Norwegian has shown great ambition to expand here and they are a really strong cultural fit for Edinburgh Airport as we continue to deliver more routes and destinations than ever before.
“Edinburgh is one of the leading destinations in northern Europe and I am really confident that this new route will be very popular for business and tourism passengers in Barcelona and here in Scotland.”
Norwegian already serves five business and leisure destinations from Edinburgh Airport to Malaga, Tenerife, Stockholm, Copenhagen and Oslo having flown more than one million passengers since the airline began flights from the airport in 2009.
Flight schedule - Edinburgh – Barcelona
Departs Wednesday: 09:55 Arrive: 13:35
Departs Saturday: 10:05 Arrive: 13:45
Flight schedule - Barcelona - Edinburgh
Departs Wednesday: 07:30 Arrive: 09:15
Departs Saturday: 07:40 Arrive: 09:25
Europe’s third largest low-cost carrier is the only airline in the UK offering direct award winning flights to the U.S. from Gatwick to destinations including Boston, San Francisco-Oakland and Las Vegas from 31 October with fares from £149 in economy and £399 in Premium.
Norwegian in the UK:
- Norwegian first launched UK flights in 2003 and now operates from London Gatwick, Edinburgh, Birmingham and Manchester Airports to more than 40 destinations worldwide
- Norwegian is the third largest airline at London Gatwick, with 3.9 million yearly passengers, and with more than 700 pilots, cabin crew and staff working from its Gatwick base
- In 2014, Norwegian introduced the UK’s first low-cost, long haul flights to the U.S. - the airlines now flies to 8 U.S destinations with fares from £149 one way in economy and £399 in Premium
- Norwegian is the only airline to offer free inflight WiFi on UK flights to more than 30 European destinations
- The airline has one of the youngest aircraft fleets in the world with an average age of four years, including next-generation Boeing 787 Dreamliners and Boeing 737-800s
- Norwegian has been voted ‘Europe’s best low-cost carrier’ by passengers for three consecutive years at SkyTrax World Airline Awards, and was also the first airline to be awarded the ‘World's best low-cost long-haul airline’ in 2015 by SkyTrax