- Norwegian’s ground-breaking low-cost transatlantic flights continue as San Francisco becomes seventh US destination
- New low-cost route to Boston set to start two months earlier than planned
- Additional low-cost flights added to Los Angeles route due to passenger demand
Low-cost airline Norwegian is giving passengers an early Christmas present with the launch of the UK’s cheapest flights to San Francisco - fares from London Gatwick to San Francisco Oakland are now on sale starting from £199 one way.
Norwegian is the only airline to offer UK passengers direct low-cost flights to the US and Caribbean - flights currently operate from London Gatwick to New York, Los Angeles, Orlando, Fort Lauderdale and Puerto Rico, all using Norwegian’s state-of-the-art 787 Dreamliner aircraft.
The ground-breaking low-cost transatlantic flights continue to prove popular with UK passengers and due to passenger demand, further flights now on sale at www.norwegian.com include:
NEW SAN FRANCISCO ROUTE
- San Francisco will become Norwegian’s seventh US destination with low-cost flights from £199
- The route will launch from London Gatwick from 12th May 2016, with three flights per week to Oakland International Airport, San Francisco
- Oakland is a small and efficient airport, offering fast immigration and customs clearance
- The airport is connected to the SF BART mass transit system offering passengers a quick 30 minute connection to downtown San Francisco, and is the closest international airport to Napa Valley and Berkeley University
EARLY LAUNCH FOR BOSTON ROUTE
- Norwegian’s new low-cost route toBoston will now be launched on 27th March 2016 - two months earlier than planned
- The route will offer 4 flights per week from Gatwick with fares from £149
- The early launch of the Boston route offers UK passengers thousands more low-cost flights to the popular New England city
ADDITIONAL FLIGHTS TO LOS ANGELES
- Due to passenger demand, from 10th May 2016 Norwegian’s existing low-cost flights from Gatwick to LosAngeles will increase to 5 flights per week, with fares from £199
Norwegian CEO Bjørn Kjos said: “Launching the UK’s cheapest flight to San Francisco is a great addition as our low-cost transatlantic plans continue to grow. From the East Coast to the West Coast, our ground-breaking flights are creating a new market for low-cost travel to America. We look forward to adding San Francisco to our network from London Gatwick as we continue our exciting plans for UK growth.”
Gatwick Chief Commercial Officer Guy Stephenson said: “We are delighted to see Norwegian’s continued growth at Gatwick now including the UK’s cheapest flights to San Francisco. Passenger demand at Gatwick for low cost long-haul routes speaks for itself – with Norwegian’s Boston route starting two months early in March 2016 and Los Angeles increasing to five-times weekly.
“With 12 new long-haul routes starting in 2016, adding to the over 220 destinations that the airport serves, Gatwick continues to reflect the requirements of our travellers providing them with more choice, better value and a greater variety of destinations.”
New San Francisco schedule:
|Departs London Gatwick||Arrives San Francisco (Oakland)|
Updated Los Angeles schedule:
|Departs London Gatwick||Arrives Los Angeles|
Updated Boston schedule:
|Departs London Gatwick||Arrives Boston Logan|
Norwegian is now the third largest airline at London Gatwick, offering a total of 29 flights to Europe and seven long-haul flights to the US and Caribbean. More than 350,000 passengers have flown transatlantic with Norwegian since the long-haul network was launched in July 2014.
Notes to Editors:
- For media enquiries contact the UK press office 020 3824 4890 / 07957 134505 / firstname.lastname@example.org
- A range of images are available to download at http://media.norwegian.com/en/#/latest_media
How Norwegian has grown in the UK:
- April 2013: Norwegian establishes its first UK base at London Gatwick. More than 400 long-haul and short-haul crew and pilots are now based at the airport
- July 2014: Norwegian introduces the UK’s first low-cost, long-haul flights to the U.S. Flights from Gatwick to New York, Los Angeles, Orlando and Fort Lauderdale cost from £149
- Summer 2015: Norwegian sees its busiest ever summer in the UK with over one million passengers between June and September and over 500 flights per week to and from UK airports
- October 2015 – Norwegian announces an order for 19 new Dreamliner aircraft, the single largest order in Europe which will help quadruple Norwegian’s long-haul fleet
- November 2015: Norwegian launches the UK’s only direct route to Puerto Rico. The new route from Gatwick will offer UK passengers low-cost travel to the Caribbean for the first time
- November 2015: Further expansion at Birmingham and Edinburgh Airports with new flights to the Canary Islands. At Birmingham in particular, Norwegian has launched 5 new routes in less than a year making it one of the airport’s fastest growing airlines
- First Quarter 2016: ‘Norwegian UK’ expected to begin operating from existing Gatwick base
- March 2016: Boston will be added to Norwegian’s low-cost long-haul network, becoming the fifth US destination served from the UK
- May 2016: San Francisco will become Norwegian’s sixth low-cost US destination
- 2017: Norwegian will be the European launch customer of new generation Boeing 737 MAX8 aircraft making it possible to connect smaller cities in the UK with destinations in the U.S.