Great news for those who take the ‘I love NY’ slogan quite literally, as Norwegian will begin serving UK holidaymakers the Big Apple daily from 25th October. It’s unsurprising the most photographed city in the world (Sightsmap), is bursting with tourists, so as we make New York City even more accessible, we wanted to share the top five ways you can enjoy the city away from the common touristy trail.
1. Spread love by going the Brooklyn way….
- Ever fancied escaping the towering skyscraper sprawl of the concrete jungle, Manhattan? Just across the East River, get great views by the Brooklyn Bridge, eat steak in Peter Luger’s and relax in Prospect Park all of which can be found in New York’s most populous borough - Brooklyn.
2. Too hot in Hell’s Kitchen? Escape to Long Beach…
- Although we're heading into winter, here's a note for next summer. You wouldn't usually associate sandy beaches with New York but if you take a train 50 minutes out of the city to Long Beach in Long Island, you can take in the Atlantic Ocean air on the boardwalk, combining the sun and the city.
3. For the budding photographers, consider Hoboken…
- Not quite Jersey Shore but just a short trip across the Hudson River in the shadows of Manhattan, Hoboken, New Joisey (New Jersey) can give you a flavour of small town America with a strip lined full of restaurants, bars and retail outlets, not to mention a promenade for a romantic stroll or a scenic jog with the spectacular backdrop of the city.
4. Take a Skyride
- Okay, we cannot promise you won’t rub shoulders with tourists bearing fanny packs and cameras on their way up to the Empire State Building observation deck, but did you know on the way up, you can take in a virtual simulated tour of the city on the New York Skyride?
5. Go uptown and a take in a show at the world famous Harlem Apollo…
- The melting pot of New York also plays home to the world’s most iconic black neighbourhood, Harlem, where you can enjoy the best amateur entertainers the city has to offer at the historic venue of the Apollo Theatre on 125th Street.
By Chase Burns
Norwegian offers daily services from London Gatwick to New York JFK on the brand new Boeing 787 Dreamliner for as low as £149 one way.
Please visit Norwegian.com for more information.