Press release -
Norwegian becomes Birmingham’s fastest growing airline with launch of two new routes
- Norwegian has carried over 70,000 passengers since launching its first flights in March
- The low-cost carrier has introduced more new routes than any other airline
- Low-cost flights to Tenerife and Gran Canaria launch this week
Low-cost airline Norwegian continues its rapid expansion at Birmingham this week with the launch of two new routes – making it the fastest growing carrier at the airport in 2015.
Norwegian, Europe’s third largest low cost airline, began flying from Birmingham in March 2015 has since introduced flights to Madrid, Barcelona and Malaga – with year round services to Tenerife and Gran Canaria set to launch this week.
The airline will offer two flights per week to Tenerife and a weekly flight to Gran Canaria, with fares from £49.90 one way. All passengers travelling from Birmingham will fly on state-of-the-art Boeing 737 aircraft with free Wi-Fi throughout their journey.
The launch of the new destinations means that Norwegian have introduced more routes to Birmingham Airport than any other airline this year, and has carried over 70,000 passengers since it began flying from the West Midlands. Norwegian is already the 16th biggest airline at the airport (by passenger volumes) out of the 50 carriers who operate from Birmingham.
Thomas Ramdahl, Commercial Director for Norwegian, said: "Norwegian’s combination of low-cost, high-quality flights has proved a hit with West Midlands’ holidaymakers and we are delighted that so many have chosen to fly with us. Tenerife and Gran Canaria are popular destinations for sun seekers and compliment our existing routes to Malaga, Barcelona and Madrid.
"Norwegian is challenging the stereotypes often associated with low-cost airlines by offering free Wi-Fi, new planes and excellent customer service and we are delighted that this has helped Birmingham Airport achieve a record breaking 10 million visitors over the last year."
William Pearson, Aviation Development Director, Birmingham Airport, said: "We’re not surprised that Norwegian has had such a successful launch from Birmingham as it offers such an excellent and affordable product to popular Spanish routes. We are confident that these new winter sun routes to Tenerife and Las Palmas will also be a hit with our customers and we look forward to continued growth over the colder months."
Details of new routes:
- Birmingham to Tenerife launch on 2 November and will operate on Mondays and Fridays, with fares from £49.90, one way
- Birmingham to Gran Canaria launch on 6 November and will operate on Fridays, with fares from £49.90, one way
- Norwegian first launched UK flights in 2003 and now operates from London Gatwick, Edinburgh, Birmingham and Manchester Airports to 34 destinations worldwide.
- In 2014, Norwegian introduced the UK’s first low-cost, long haul flights to the U.S. flying directly from Gatwick to New York, Fort Lauderdale and Los Angeles
- Norwegian is the only airline to offer free in-flight WiFi on UK flights to 29 European destinations
- The airline has one of the youngest aircraft fleets in the world with an average age of four years, including next-generation Boeing 787 Dreamliners and Boeing 737-800s