Press release -
Norwegian announces 5th new summer route with low-cost flights to Crete
- Additional low-cost flights also added to destinations in Greece, Croatia and Germany
Low-cost airline Norwegian continues its UK expansion by putting on sale a new route from Gatwick to Crete today with fares from £29.90 – the new service marks the fifth new summer route Norwegian is introducing this year.
From 28th April, Norwegian will offer holidaymakers three weekly direct flights to Crete (Chania) throughout the summer on brand new 186-seat Boeing 737-800 aircraft which offer free Wi-Fi, keeping passengers connected in the skies.
Europe’s third largest low-cost airline has also increased the number of Gatwick flights to Corfu, Pula and Berlin this summer. Sun-seeking holidaymakers can benefit from twice weekly services to the Greek island of Corfu and the Croatian city of Pula which has Roman roots and lays by the sea. Meanwhile, leisure and business travellers can choose from 13 departures every week to the German capital, Berlin.
Thomas Ramdahl, Chief Commercial Officer at Norwegian said: “We’re serious about offering more choice, flexibility and low-fares for our passengers. Crete is a fantastic addition to our growing UK route network which now serves more than 40 destinations nonstop. Travel patterns have changed and so Crete offers an attractive alternative for sun-seekers. With affordable fares from £29.90, we expect Brits to flock to the Greek island this summer with the added bonus of having free Wi-Fi on board our flights.”
Crete becomes Norwegian’s fifth new summer route following the carrier’s UK regional expansion with new flights from Manchester to Alicante, Malaga and Barcelona alongside a new route from Edinburgh to Barcelona starting in June.
Norwegian also offers UK passengers the only direct low-cost flights to the U.S. with a record number 425,000 transatlantic seats this summer. New direct flights from Gatwick to Oakland-San Francisco will take off from 12th May offering the UK a seventh low-cost route to the U.S.
Flight schedule – London to Crete:
|Departs Gatwick||Arrives Crete|
Norwegian first launched UK flights in 2003 and is Europe’s third largest low-cost airline. The carrier operates from London Gatwick, Edinburgh, Birmingham and Manchester Airports to 34 destinations worldwide.
- Norwegian is the third largest airline at London Gatwick, with 3.9 million yearly passengers, and with 130 pilots and 300 cabin crewworking from its Gatwick base
- In 2014, Norwegian introduced the UK’s first low-cost, long haul flights to the U.S. flying direct from Gatwick to New York, Fort Lauderdale and Los Angeles
- Norwegian is the only airline to offer free inflight WiFi on UK flights to more than 30 European destinations
- The airline has one of the youngest aircraft fleets in the world with an average age of four years, including next-generation Boeing 787 Dreamliners and Boeing 737-800s
- Norwegian has been voted ‘Europe’s best low-cost carrier’ by passengers for three consecutive years at SkyTrax World Airline Awards, and was also the first airline to be awarded the ‘World's best low-cost long-haul airline’ in 2015 by SkyTrax.