Press release -
Fly from the Arctic to Antarctica gateway with Norwegian from under £400
- Airline network connects world’s northernmost and southernmost airports in four flights
Norwegian today announces that holidaymakers, travel enthusiasts and #avgeeks now have the unique opportunity to travel between the Arctic and Ushuaia, one of the world’s southernmost cities and gateway to Antarctica on Norwegian from £398.50 one way at www.norwegian.com.
Voted Skytrax Best Low-Cost Long-Haul Airline, Norwegian has developed an extensive global network that connects customers in the northern and southern hemispheres. The airline’s services include short-haul flights across Europe and a domestic network in Argentina that European passengers can access using its nonstop London Gatwick-Buenos Aires service, as part of Norwegian’s transatlantic flights between the UK, USA and South America.
From 21 September, Norwegian became the only airline to operate flights to and from the world’s northernmost airport in Svalbard, Norway and the world’s southernmost airport in Ushuaia, Argentina with London Gatwick as a key connection point on the journey.
The entire journey from north to south covers 9,800 miles and takes approximately 25 hours on four flights. Customers would fly in comfort on Norwegian’s modern Boeing 737-800 and Boeing 787-9 Dreamliner aircraft.
Passengers would start in Svalbard located about 650 miles from the North Pole and travel to Oslo where passengers connect onward to London Gatwick and meet the overnight flight from Gatwick to Buenos Aires. After an entire day to explore the Argentinian capital and an overnight stay, passengers then meet the final leg of the journey from Buenos Aires’ domestic airport Aeroparque to Ushuaia, the primary cruise gateway to Antarctica.
Matthew Wood, SVP Commercial at Norwegian said: “There are thrill-seeking travellers and aviation enthusiasts who would love the opportunity to travel from the Arctic Circle to the doorstep of Antarctica in the most simple and affordable way.
“Customers can enjoy free Wi-Fi at 35,000ft and a modern high-quality experience onboard our modern, environmentally friendly aircraft throughout the journey. This exciting routing is one example of how our extensive network allows passengers to easily connect between hubs and explore the world at the best fares no matter where they are located.”
Journey schedule (all times local)
-Total flight time: approx. 25 hours
-Journey distance: 9,800 miles
|DY 397||Svalbard (LYR)||Oslo (OSL)||1240||1535||Boeing 737-800|
|D82807||Oslo (OSL)||London Gatwick (LGW)||1845||2005||Boeing 737-800|
|DI7505||London Gatwick (LGW)||Buenos Aires (EZE)||2230||0810+1||Boeing 787-9 Dreamliner|
|DN6120||Buenos Aires (AEP)||Ushuaia (USH)||1835||2215||Boeing 737-800|
Customers wishing to do the journey can book Svalbard to Gatwick in a single booking and then book the individual legs from London Gatwick to Buenos Aires (EZE) and Buenos Aires (AEP) to Ushuaia on Norwegian’s website.
Notes to editors
-Fares are one-way, include taxes and subject to availability
-Current lead-in fares:
o Svalbard – Oslo – £78.10 one way
o Oslo – London – £26.40 one way
o London – Buenos Aires – £249.90 one way
o Buenos Aires – Ushuaia – £44.50 one way
Norwegian in the UK and Ireland:
- Norwegian carries almost 6 million UK passengers each year from London Gatwick, Edinburgh and Manchester Airports to 30 destinations worldwide
- Norwegian is the third largest airline at London Gatwick, with 4.6 million yearly passengers, and with more than 1,500 UK-based pilots and cabin crew
- In 2014, Norwegian introduced the UK’s first low-cost, long haul flights to the U.S. - the airline now flies to 12 U.S destinations, Buenos Aires and Rio de Janeiro from London Gatwick
- Norwegian is the only airline to offer free inflight WiFi on UK flights to more than 30 European destinations and 14 long-haul destinations.
- The airline has one of the youngest aircraft fleets in the world with an average age of 3.8 years, including next-generation Boeing 787 Dreamliner, Boeing 737 MAX and Boeing 737-800s
- Norwegian has been voted ‘Europe’s best low-cost carrier’ by passengers for six consecutive years at SkyTrax World Airline Awards from 2013-2018, along with being awarded the ‘World's best low-cost long-haul airline’ in 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018 and 2019
- Norwegian Reward is the airline's free to join award-winning loyalty programme offering members CashPoints and Rewards that reduce the cost of Norwegian flights