In collaboration with the Global Climate Institute Norwegian will plant 9,000 trees in the UK and Spain – one for every person working at the company. Later this year, the airline will plant tens of thousands of trees in other parts of the world.
Norwegian has launched another initiative to its sustainability work – Plant for the Future. As one of the first airlines in the world Norwegian will plant trees to benefit the environment, which will be done in partnership with the Global Climate Institute. Trees are of immense importance to the global climate as they sequester carbon.
Initially Norwegian will plant one tree for every person working at the airline – 9,000. These trees will be planted in the UK and Spain which are important and growing markets for Norwegian. Later this year Norwegian will plant tens of thousands of trees in other parts of the world.
The launch of the initiative took place in Oxford, where a group of Norwegian employees across all areas of the business, planted the first trees. Oxford was a fitting location due to the city’s diversity and rapid expansion as well as it’s forward thinking environmental policies, which reflects Norwegian’s own goals.
Norwegian VP Communications and CSR, Lasse Sandaker-Nielsen said: “Norwegian is proud to add yet another sustainability initiative to our CSR work. By engaging in tree planting are we strengthening our commitment to making aviation more environmentally friendly. At first, we will plant 9,000 trees in the UK and Spain to honour each of our fantastic colleagues. Later this year we will plant tens of thousands of trees across the globe to benefit the environment. We are looking forward to carrying on with this important work”
“The most important action an airline can take to reduce its environmental footprint is to invest in new aircraft. With an average age of just 3.6 years Norwegian has one of the newest and most environmentally friendly fleets in the world”
One of the first airlines in the world
Norwegian will be one of the first airlines in the world to engage in tree planting.
“We are happy about the new partnership with Norwegian. There is different quality in the tree planting programs and we have worked with Norwegian to find projects in both the UK and Spain that satisfies the demand for a sustainable solution. Furthermore, it has been an inspiration to see how Norwegian’s employees has shown such great commitment and excitement in planting the first trees. We are looking forward to continuing the journey together in the future”, says Morten. E. Jensen, Project Manager for Global Climate Institute.
Norwegian has one of the youngest aircraft fleets in the world with an average age of 3.6 years, making it one of the greenest and most fuel-efficient fleets in the world.
Norwegian in the UK and Ireland:
- Norwegian carries 5.8 million UK passengers each year from London Gatwick, Edinburgh and Manchester Airports to 50 destinations worldwide
- Norwegian is the third largest airline at London Gatwick, with 4.6 million yearly passengers, and with more than 1,000 UK-based pilots and cabin crew
- In 2014, Norwegian introduced the UK’s first low-cost, long haul flights to the U.S. - the airline now flies to 11 U.S destinations, Buenos Aires and Singapore
- In 2017, Norwegian also launched affordable transatlantic flights from Edinburgh, Belfast, Dublin, Cork and Shannon to the US East Coast, using the brand new Boeing 737 MAX aircraft
- Norwegian is the only airline to offer free inflight WiFi on UK flights to more than 30 European destinations
- The airline has one of the youngest aircraft fleets in the world with an average age of 3.7 years, including next-generation Boeing 787 Dreamliner, Boeing 737 MAX and Boeing 737-800s
- Norwegian has been voted ‘Europe’s best low-cost carrier’ by passengers for six consecutive years at SkyTrax World Airline Awards from 2013-2018, along with being awarded the ‘World's best low-cost long-haul airline’ in 2015, 2016, 2017 and 2018
- Norwegian Reward is the airline's free to join award-winning loyalty programme offering members CashPoints and Rewards that reduce the cost of Norwegian flights